What is ‘Biohacking’?
It’s the process of making changes to your lifestyle to “hack” your own body’s biology and to feel your absolute best.
Every single thing we put into our bodies – our foods, our thoughts, our physical movement and our environmental exposure affect the way we behave. You have the ability to transform your body so that you can feel like the best version of yourself.
When you function at such a higher level you are able to be more productive, feel more energized, focused, feel happier, be more mindful, and have lowered stress levels. You will feel more in control.
Here are a couple of ways you can dabble with to “bio-hack” yourself:
- Nutrition – Eliminate anything that causes you any digestive stress – good digestion is key for a well-functioning system. Try the elimination diet, if you cannot pin point causes of digestive stress. Digestive stress can cause symptoms like; bloating, bowel changes, skin issues, cramps, nausea etc.
- Water – drinking enough water is the first step, then drinking clean filtered water is the second. Remember water flushes out the system, the type of water we drink is definitely something we need to pay more attention to.
- Sleep – I cannot stress enough how important getting adequate amounts of sleep is. On average you should be getting 7-8 hours of sleep per night, this also increases the more active you are. If you’re an athlete, and training almost every day, sleep is vital for recovery.
- Eating patterns – Intermittent Fasting (IF), the new craze diet in the fitness industry. IF is not really a diet, rather a timeline/ pattern of eating and not eating. The benefits are numerous, I suggest doing IF a couple days a month, to reap the benefits of autophagy and longevity.
- Exercise – movement! – My favourite hack – why? – Because this really gives you so much room to play. I recommend any physical activity that you enjoy – again I emphasize ANY activity YOU enjoy. If you do what you enjoy, chances of doing it again are much higher! Moving your body – releases endorphins (the feel good hormones), gets your heart and muscles working – we were made to move!
- Eat more fat – no I’m not saying go all out KETO (ketogenic diet). Adding more fat to your diet is good for your health, but make sure it’s the healthy fats like avocados, coconuts, olive oil, fatty fish like salmon and mackerel etc. Fats are vital for hormone production and many processes in our bodies. (side note – note the increase in obesity worldwide since LOW FAT diets were propagated)
- Develop a daily gratitude practice – get yourself a journal, write down a list of what you are grateful for, write down your goals, your to do lists, favourite scriptures, this task is so easy to do yet – we always too busy liking instagram posts to do it, you become so mindful with how you spend your time when you make time for journaling and practicing gratitude.
- Grounding – Nature is healing! Take off your shoes, walk around barefoot on the grass, on the sand, allowing your feet to connect with the surface below them. When we spend time barefoot on the earth, our feet act as electrical currents, allowing the natural electrical charges that the earth produces flow through us.
- Get in to the sun – Getting some vitamin D. Exposing your skin to sunlight is so important. Most people are vitamin D deficient, this can lead to terrible side effects like lowering your immunity, fatigue, hair -loss, headaches etc.
Some food for thought, with these practical ideas on how you can hack you biology to upgrade yourself!